Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Last C4T Post

photo of Josh Stumpenhorst

For my last C4T, I left comments on Josh Stumpenhorst's blog, Stump The Teacher. The first post I read was titled Great Teaching in Preschool. It was about how the way preschoolers are taught is lost with age. For example, in preschool we have small class sizes, our parents are involved a great deal, play is learning, and failure is used as a learning tool. So many of these things are lost in teaching process with the aging of the students. If you think about it, how many games did you play in class during high school? A few if you are lucky. Or, better yet, how many times did you do project that your parents were involved in? Hardly ever. Most importantly, failure should always be used as a teaching tool. When you start to get older, you get even more scared of failing at something that you stop trying, or using your imagination. I think it is especially important that children know that it is okay to fail at something every now and then.
This is the comment I left on this post:
"Hi Josh,
I am currently studying to become an educator, and I can’t agree with you more. No, I don’t have a firsthand teaching experience with this, but I do remember my experiences as a student. What you have shared here makes me want to strive to accomplish and keep all that is lost with age in the teaching and learning processes. Thanks for the great post! Every part was dead on.
Victoria"


The second post I read was titled Why Would You Become a Teacher? I really enjoyed this post, because in my personal experience I have been asked this question several times. He gives a list of things that student's in higher education classes, pursuing the career as an educator, need to be aware of. He states that he wonders why people still choose to become teachers today. He states several negative things about becoming a teacher from teaching under an administrator who tells you how to run your classroom, when they have been absent from the classroom for a long time, to defending your choice to become a teacher to your family and friends. He also states things like having to work for a school system that only cares about test scores instead of the child, and having to put forth all of your energy to a child who does not care, will not care, and will eventually drop out of school. I really liked his post, and it is something that I think everyone pursuing this degree should read. If none of these things bothers you, you're in the right place. If they do bother you, but you still want to become a teacher, you are still in the right place. He closes the post with the statement that all of these things are irrelevant if you are truly passionate about teaching.
This is the comment I left for him:
"Hi Josh,
I am one of the higher education students that this post is directed toward. It is a shame that there are so many negative things about pursuing a career as a teacher. I think that your closing paragraph speaks volumes about teachers, however. If you are truly passionate about teaching, then all of the cons are irrelevant. I really enjoyed this post!
Victoria"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you really enjoyed the C4T posts you were assigned! You forgot to include the links so the rest of us could enjoy them too! Hope you are thinking about having your own blog when you are a teacher, and will send us the link so that you can become a C4T assignment for someone else! Good luck :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete