Saturday, September 22, 2012

C4T Comments For Teachers- Project 3

C4T Post 1
For the first C4T comment, I read and watched the video that Jenny Luca posted on her blogpost, My TEDxMelbourne Talk: Education Leadership. After watching her talk, it was very clear to me that my elementary, junior high, and high school education was severely lacking in new technology. Luca talked about different ways to get students involved in technology and different ways to create their own digital footprints. Having children do something as simple as blogging weekly will help them to understand the shifts in technology as well as teaching them ways to use the resources that are available to them daily. I really enjoyed listening to the things that Luca had to say. She really understands how important it is that the learning process for children should involve new technology.
The comment I left to her was simply just thanking her for bringing certain issues to my attention, and telling her that I very much enjoyed what she had to say.

“Hi Jenny,
I really enjoyed your talk! I agree so much with you that not enough teachers “get it” when it comes to the shift in technology. I am a student learning to become an educator, and I can only hope that I will be one of the teachers that I so wish I had had. As I listened to your talk, I kept flashing back to my days in high school and could honestly picture how my learning experiences would have been significantly better and more meaningful had there been an incorporation of more technology. The technology was there, it just wasn’t used. Now, I am in classes that stress this so much, and I am grateful. Thank you so much for sharing your talk, and inspiring me to help my future students create their digital footprints.
Take good care, Victoria”


To my surprise, she commented back telling me that she valued my comment.

“Thanks Victoria. I really value your comment. It sounds to me like you’re well on the way to becoming the kind of educator we need today in our schools.
Jenny”


C4T Post 2
For my second post to Jenny Luca, I had to travel back a month in her blog. She had only been posting “housekeeping” posts since I last commented on one of her posts. I went back a month and found one that she posted on August 22, and I really enjoyed it. She posted a video by John Green that explained what teachers should be teaching in the classroom as well as what skills will need to be taught to children in order for them to be successful in the future. The post was titled You are special…and we’re counting on you. The video, An Open Letter to Students Returning to School, by Green was just a way to get students to think about why they are in school. He closes the video stating that the reason he teaches is because essentially, one day his students will be taking care of him. They will be the ones to create drugs to extend lives, and invent things that he will use every day, (as well as coming up with a microwave pizza that has an actual crispy crust!) I really enjoyed the video, and his comedic way of coming across to his students, and students everywhere. He also has a YouTube channel with his brother, Vlogbrothers, that provides interesting educational videos that keep students’ interested and engaged in the material.
I left a comment for Jenny under this post telling her how glad I was that she introduced me to the Vlogbrothers.
"Hi!
I am so glad that you introduced me to the Vlogbrothers! I really enjoy their way of communicating with students in a way that isn’t quite so boring. In An Open Letter To Students Returning To School, I especially loved his parting message as well. It really makes you stop and think about the many purposes there are in schooling children. Oh, and a microwave pizza with actual crispy crust would be amazing!
Thanks again for sharing, Victoria"

No comments:

Post a Comment